Nanosyn is seeking an experienced, highly skilled, talented and motivated individual with an extensive background in organic and medicinal chemistry to lead the Discovery Chemistry group.
This position is accountable for the successful planning and execution of customer requested projects as well as the day-to-day operations of a group of about 30 scientists (direct reports and influencing matrix support). An expectation of this position is to actively contribute to the on-going projects with the objective to achieve a high level of business unit performance and customer satisfaction.
The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial minded and has a strong background and experience in synthetic, medicinal and process chemistry.
The Head of Chemistry is responsible for creating a high-performing culture in an organizational matrix environment.
Scientific Leadership, Organizational Structure and Interfaces
- Applies experience and knowledge to solve difficult synthetic challenges and provide useful guidance to the chemists in the department.
- Demonstrates a high level of creativity and productivity.
- Ensures practical and efficient structures and processes to enable outstanding decision making.
- In cooperation with the department personnel, develops and maintains efficient ways-of-working to allow optimum performance of the Discovery Chemistry group.
- Develops and maintains productive communication with leaders and team-members at Nanosyn’s other facilities (Santa Rosa, Hayward), along with other key partners.
- Represents Nanosyn at client meetings, conferences, and more.
Project Portfolio Support
- Enables high quality scientific, technical, and strategic input to the project teams.
- Builds and sustains customer relations in collaboration with the Business Development team.
- Implements chemistry strategy for individual projects and monitors progress against agreed goals.
- Prioritizes projects work and resources assigned to project teams.
- In alignment with customer expectations, defines clear goals with metrics for the site teams.
- Demonstrates a high level of creativity and productivity with strong synthetic problem-solving skills.
- Provides annual performance reviews, identifies and develops high potential employees, ensures that performance management practices are followed, and provides multi-source feedback.
- Ensures development opportunities and professional growth for each direct report in alignment with the business needs.
- Ensures effective and frequent two-way communication with customers
- Engages the organization in continuously learning and optimizing their performance.
- Fosters transparency in decision making.
- Holds regular meetings designed to build the knowledge of the scientists within the Chemistry group.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Ph.D. in organic chemistry or Medicinal Chemistry with 10+ years of industry experience (preferably in a CDMO/CRO).
- Experience in project management and communicating with customers/clients.
- Capable of leading project teams.
- Able to work with employees at all levels within the organization.
- Has demonstrated skills in talent growth, scientific leadership development, and has the ability to motivate employees to work to their greatest potential.
- Must be located at Nanosyn headquarters in Santa Clara, CA.
- Will require full time in office/lab.